Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fools Rush In

Fools Rush In….

I was showing a new Lady the slave quarters when I heard the screaming. Loosening my sword in its sheath, I cautioned her to remain there and dashed to the stairs.

As I drew nearer I could hear a commotion, and there in the entryway stood my Queen, a naked sword in her hand a pair of naked princesses cowering at her feet. There was shouting and at last I understood that what I had thought was a strong wind was roaring of a different sort. Barreling down the causeway as I drew my sword I encountered a guard. Before I could ask what was happening, he struck me in the face with his fist. As he was clearly not the source of the trouble, I laid him low with my forearm and continued around the corner. What I beheld next was nearly too much to believe.

With a body the size of a small house in Colchester, tail lashing like a giant whip and wings half-furled, the dragon turned its baleful glance in my direction. Perhaps I was partially concealed by shadows in the arch; perhaps it saw me as no threat. In any event, it looked elsewhere and I saw my chance. I glanced over my shoulder and saw the guard had regained his feet and had been joined by another man, perhaps two. Shouting, “Follow me,” I rushed to the attack.

The dragon’s scaly hide repelled my slashes, but the point as I thrust must have got its attention, for it knocked me to the ground. Momentarily dazed, I thought of Allure, thought of our first meeting, but two days before, and my utter embarrassment. I thought of the way that first sight of her had pierced my heart, how her tinkling laugh had warmed me, and I knew. I knew I had been rash in attacking the dragon alone, knew that doing so again might mean my demise. And I knew I could never look her in the eye again if I did not give it my all, even if it meant my death. Hastily recovering my sword, I again confronted the beast.

The stench of its breath was almost overpowering and the pain as its claws rended my chest may have made me scream – I do not know if what I heard was from my own lips or those of another. Then I was falling to the ground again and all went black.

(([11:59] BattleZone 1.0.2: Zebulon2 Albion has fallen in battle by Golden Dragon's final blow!
[12:00] Golden Dragon pokes Zelbulon's body a few times
[12:01] Golden Dragon sniffs him over.... then starts to munch on his arm
[12:01] BattleZone 1.0.2: Seth Hallstrom has hit Golden Dragon with their weapon. (HT 60% / DF 20%)
[12:04] BattleZone 1.0.2: Zebulon2 Albion has recovered and able to continue or flee the battle!
[12:06] You: what the hell...?))

When my vision cleared I saw the dragon, pierced by many arrows, rising slowly into the sky. I was alone. Having followed the dragon into the dike, where I now lay was out of sight of any. There would be no aid forthcoming, unless someone thought to search for me. I called upon the Goddess to blast the dragon and bless my Queen, then closed my eyes for the Long Sleep. I thought the pain would fade as my spirit departed, but it continued. My blood was not flowing as freely, and it became apparent I would not die this day. And before any could aid me, they would have to know I was in need.

Using my sword as a crutch, I regained my feet and managed to stagger up the ramp. Pausing at the castle entrance I pulled off the remnants of my bloody shirt before passing inside. I dimly recall sitting down, then all went black again. A sharp pricking sensation brought me to my senses, somewhat, and opening my eyes I beheld Lady Sienna stitching the edges of my wounds closed. I lost consciousness again, and when I awoke, my chest and arm were bandaged and the pain was now more dull than searing.

The mending took some time, and my Queen offered a reward to whoever might rid her demesne of the dragon, but although it was sighted twice afterward, it has not returned and to my knowledge the reward is unclaimed. If my arm is not so strong now, blame the dragon and its teeth; if I do not rush headlong into battle, blame the lessons of that day.

((And the lessons of that day are:
1. Do not attack a superior force without at least one friend at your side;
2. Do not leave your battle meter set on “Arena,” which will mean only you and your opponent will know there is a fight;
3. Make sure your weapon works with your opponent’s battle meter: I struck many blows and did no damage. Seth proved it could be harmed, so it had to be my sword that failed to register a hit.
4. Most importantly, never hesitate, within reason, to defend the things, places and people you value. It will be worth it in the end. I was a fool, but a bigger one than I would have done nothing.))

A wise man once said: “You are not required to complete the task, but neither are you free to refrain from beginning it.”

Baron Albion

1 comment: